A redesign of the MacBook Air may arrive in 2014, if a research note from DisplaySearch proves to be accurate.
As CNET reported this week, analyst firm NPD DisplaySearch anticipates that Apple may plan a larger 4.7-inch iPhone, a 5.7-inch phablet, a 1.3-inch iWatch, and a 12.9-inch iPad-like device, among other products.
The speculative data about the future Air was tagged with the parenthetical “new,” implying a new design. That redesign appears to be pegged to its size.
Instead of the 11.6- and 13.3-inch Airs to date, this would have a 12-inch screen with a much higher resolution.
The 2,304×1,440 display would jump to 226 pixels per inch (PPI) from an unimpressive 127 and 135 pixels per inch for the current 13.3-inch (1,440×900) and 11.6-inch (1,366×768) MBAs, respectively.
Whatever Apple ultimately decides, it seems certain that the ultraportable laptop will get a physical makeover. The MBA hasn’t seen a physical redesign or display change since late 2010, when Apple introduced a new chassis and debuted the 11.6-inch Air.
Original article was posted cnet.com
- Apple’s iPad event reportedly set for October 22
- iPhone 5S, 5C to land in dozens more countries on October 25
- Apple’s iPhone trade-in program reportedly headed to Europe
- DisplaySearch: Apple readying phablet, Retina MacBook Air
- Apple job post suggests iPhone deal with China Mobile near
- Apple predicted to sell as many as 10M ‘iWatches’ in first year
- Beats preps music subscription app for iOS, Camera+ gets full-res burst-mode
- Apple said to prep iTunes Radio for early-2014 UK, Canada, Australia rollouts
- Apple hiring to improve battery life in future versions of OS X
- 5 things we miss about Steve Jobs…
- DisplaySearch: Apple readying phablet, Retina MacBook Air (applebytecrunch.wordpress.com)