Apple is said to be opening its first retail shop in Brazil sometime in February or March — just in time for Carnival, Rio de Janeiro’s biggest party, and a couple of months ahead of the hugely popular FIFA World Cup.
According to 9to5Mac, an inside source said that Apple is planning for February or March but construction and staffing could delay the opening. Apparently, the iPhone maker is looking to temporarily bring US retail employees to Brazil to help teach Apple’s retail practices to local workers. The store is said to be located in Rio de Janeiro’s Village Mall.
While the dates for the grand opening are still shaky, Apple did confirm last November that it was indeed working on an inaugural Brazil retail store.
“We look forward to the opening of the first Apple Store in Brazil, where we have longstanding customers and hope to win many more every day,” Apple said at the time. “We cannot wait to offer the unique Apple retail experience to the people of Rio de Janeiro and customers from across the entire region.”
Brazil is increasingly becoming a key market for smartphones, tablets, PCs, and other consumer electronics. While developed nations, like the US, are experiencing slowing demand, emerging regions — like Latin America and Southeast Asia — are expected to drive the next leg of growth for device makers.
Currently, Apple has retail shops in 14 countries, the majority of which are in Europe and North America. The upcoming Brazil store will be Apple’s first in Latin America.
Original article was published in cnet.com
- An ‘iPad Christmas’? Maybe not if you want an iPad Mini with Retina Display
- Apple CEO: We’ve locked up 94% of education tablet market
- Free software will result in $900 million deferral at Apple
- Apple hints at new categories of products, but in 2014
- Apple’s 2013 by the numbers: 150M iPhones, 71M iPads
- Apple’s Q4 racks up $37.5B in sales, 33.8M iPhones, 14.1M iPads
- Apple and the emperor’s new wearable tech
- Couple in China ‘sells’ daughter for iPhone
- Apple’s 2.6 million sq ft ‘spaceship’ HQ gets green light from Cupertino
- Siri ‘Eyes Free’ mode comes to six more Chevy cars
- Apple said to unveil newfangled Brazil retail store by March (oddonion.com)