Bryant tells Bloomberg that he did, indeed, hold court with Apple’s Jony Ive. But he doesn’t mention an iWatch.
Some Apple rumors turn out to be true. These days, quite a few of them do.
When Kobe Bryant was seen not so long ago, lurking on Apple’s campus in Cupertino, Calif., some speculated it might have to do with the purported iWatch. Or iTime. Or iBand. Or iVegotoneyouhavent.
Now the Lakers’ limping legend has come clean. In an interview with Bloomberg, he revealed that he spent a whole day with Apple’s head of design, Jony Ive.
“I just cold-call people to pick their brains about stuff,” claimed Bryant.
But if you were Jony Ive, would you really choose to take the call when you have slightly more pressing matters at hand?
There again, there are rumors that Bryant is one of several athletes testing Apple’s new alleged wrist gadget.
Bryant told Bloomberg that he met with Ive and spent a whole day “picking his brain about product.”
I suppose every NBA star is a product that wants to be a brand. Perhaps Bryant wanted tips on adding to his aesthetic. Indeed, he explained that the conversation was aimed at helping him be better at what he did.
Perhaps, you might be thinking, Ive had some tips on bettering Bryant’s shooting percentage and team ethic. Not exactly, but Bryant said there are “common denominators” when it comes to success, and indeed, apparently it wasn’t only Bryant who was doing the brain-picking.
“Jony wanted to know how do I prepare,” he said. Yes, it can’t be easy for Ive at least twice a year having to get ready for those product videos and finding new, key phrases such as “beautifully, unapologetically plastic.”
Bryant said that he told Ive his own process was very similar to Apple’s. He keeps it secret, then he hypes his game a lot.
No, wait. What he actually said was “Think sequentially. You look at the end result of what you want to create, but, you know, there’s so many other little things that go into this massive entity.”
Kobe Bryant and Apple. Two massive entities. But which one is more on their game currently? Perhaps we’ll know by the end of the year.
- Apple: We don’t build back doors into our products
- Sellers in China start iPhone 6 preorders, report says
- Apple scores patent for ‘wrist-worn electronic device’
- Nvidia’s Shield Tablet: Gaming must-have or also-ran?
- Pharrell, Kasabian, Kylie and Blondie headline free iTunes gigs
- And now for the alleged iPhone 6 extreme sandpaper test
- EU praises Google, chides Apple over in-app purchases
- Apple isn’t doing enough about in-app purchases, watchdog says
- Production said to begin soon on both iPhone 6 models
- Silicon Valley ‘Coach’ Bill Campbell steps down from Apple board