Looking to get more out of Spotlight on your Mac? This free app is your answer.
Apple added a lot of new features to Spotlight in OS X 10.10 Yosemite. The list of new capabilities includes searching the App Store, Wikipedia pages and quick calculations. For some, however, Spotlight would benefit from additional features and capabilities.
For example, wouldn’t it be nice to search Google or Amazon directly from Spotlight? What about getting current weather conditions along with a forecast for the next few days? Or running Terminal commands without actually launching Terminal? All would be welcome additions, right?
You can add that functionality to Spotlight by downloading a free app called Flashlight.
The app is currently in what amounts to an alpha stage. By installing Flashlight and activating its various plugins, you are able to add extra features to Spotlight with little effort on your part.
And for the motivated developer who has an idea to he or she would like to see in Spotlight, you can create your own plugins for Flashlight.
Download the free app here, open the ZIP file and place it in your Applications folder. Double-click the app icon and enable the plugins you want to use. Hints on how to use each search query and plugin are listed in each plugin’s description.
The next time you launch Spotlight, take advantage of its new functionality.
- Apple fans buy things they don’t need, but how do they compare to Samsung fans?
- iPhone 6 China preorders soar past 20M — report
- Apple Pay details leaked in alleged training documents
- Apple’s Beats, Bose settle patent spat over noise-canceling tech
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus to land at Boost Mobile Oct. 17
- Apple supplier GT’s bankruptcy filing surprises even Apple
- Carl Icahn says he’s sending an ‘interesting’ letter to Apple on Thursday
- Alleged iPad Air 2 images leak online
- Apple sets Oct. 16 event, with new iPad, Macs likely
- iOS 8.1 beta 2 reveals new Apple Pay screens
- How to enable 60 fps video recording on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus